Re: Install Problems on Mac

From: Chuck Boody
Subject: Re: Install Problems on Mac
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 11:34:05 -0600

Thanks Christ,

But still no success...

Two interesting things:

1) The Apple website says this about things included in X11: "XFree86 4.3 — Includes latest enhancements from the Open Source community."

2) My error message still says: "Failed: Can't resolve dependency "gcc3.1" for package "xfree86-4.4.0-14" (no matching packages/versions found)"

Note the version discrepancies. Apple could have old info on their site and that would explain the xfree issue. BUT I've installed gcc3.3 (twice doing things correctly) and my system should be using gcc3.3. Equally mysterious is the fact that my system is NOT using the tsch shell even though OS 10.3.x is supposed to be using it. Because of that fink got installed to run under the default shell and not under tsch. I'd have to reinstall it (apparently) to shift to the tsch shell, and I've been reluctant to do that.

A bit of my background: Lots of years of programming experience, but almost zero knowledge of Unix/Linus things. So, I can't easily get in and "fix" things (and I find that frustrating). I'm not going to bother to develop all that knowledge at this point, so I'm depending on you folks to guide me. I appreciate all the suggestions, but don't see a solution yet.

Chuck Boody