Re: Install Problems on Mac

From: Chuck Boody
Subject: Re: Install Problems on Mac
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 14:51:07 -0600

Thanks Christian,

See below:
On Feb 1, 2005, at 2:27 PM, Christian Hitz wrote:

Hi Chuck,

Am 01.02.2005 um 18:34 schrieb Chuck Boody:
1) The Apple website says this about things included in X11: "XFree86 4.3 — Includes latest enhancements from the Open Source community."
Did you install the "X11 for Mac OS X SDK" package too? It's an option when installing the Developer Tools (XCode)

No. I don't have the Developer Tools disk (a long story) and am trying to get one. I'll certainly do that if I can.

2) My error message still says: "Failed: Can't resolve dependency "gcc3.1" for package "xfree86-4.4.0-14" (no matching packages/versions found)"
Fink asumes that it has to install a xfree86 system, and apparently this package requires gcc3.1. Fink should ask you which version of xfree86 it should install. Do not use the default but select "system-xfree86" which then uses Apple's X11.

Fink gives me a couple of options, but I didn't see system-xfree86 as an option. The options I see are " xfree86: Free X11 implementation for Darwin and Mac OS X" and "xorg: Free X11 implementation for Darwin and Mac OS X" and no others.

Equally mysterious is the fact that my system is NOT using the tsch shell even though OS 10.3.x is supposed to be using it.
As of 10.3 MacOSX uses bash as default shell. (10.0 - 10.2.x used tcsh)

Hmmm. Not my understanding, but I'll accept that. Then perhaps that can be excluded from the issue.

Christian

Chuck