Re: transpose, transposition, and relative

From: Paul Scott
Subject: Re: transpose, transposition, and relative
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2005 18:34:00 -0700

Chip wrote:

Anthony W. Youngman wrote:

In message <address@hidden>, Han-Wen Nienhuys <address@hidden> writes

don't confuse \transposition and \transpose. \transposition sets the
transposition of the instrument playing. This is used for getting cue
note transpositions and MIDI output correct. \transpose changes the
pitches of a music expression. The above was interpreted as

Thanks. So I can't do what I want :-(

I know someone said there was a macro in jEdit or emacs or something that would transpose parts, but what I was hoping I could do was enter the part straight from treble clef, and tell lilypond that it was written in Bb. Looking at the example for the horn certainly makes it look like that is possible ...

I've been entering pieces in concert C and they are are printed in the correct instrument key with this in the code -

\score {
  \notes
  \transpose f d
  \relative c'''
  {
  \set Score.skipBars = ##t
  \override Staff.MultiMeasureRest #'expand-limit = #1
  \time 4/4
  \clef treble
  \key f \major
    other...stuff
  }

And that transposed a flute part to an Eflat Alto Sax part. The Flute part was in concert F, so when the Alto is played the pitch of the notes is the same as it would be for a concert C instrument.
Hope that helps a bit.

Or here's your example slightly modified:

\version "2.4.0"
\include "english.ly"
\score {
 \new Staff <<
   \transpose bf c'' {   % I use the keys of the instruments backwards
     \relative c' {
       bf2\ff bf | df df | c df | ef1 | bf2 bf | df df | c df | ef1 |

I'm not sure if I got the octave where you wanted since I did this in a hurry.

HTH,

Paul Scott