Re: I found an answer, but got "option --png not recognized" Error

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: I found an answer, but got "option --png not recognized" Error
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2005 14:20:39 +0100

To follow up on my previous answer, lily-wins is a very primitive
program that doesn't pass any command line options to lilypond.
Actually, it's turns out it's fairly simple to call lilypond directly
(still I don't really realize why you want to do it) using the
following DOS command:
C:/cygwin/bin/bash.exe --login -c "/usr/bin/lilypond ..."
However, the complication is that you then have to specify the
file name using the UNIX path name instead of the DOS path name.
For example, to process the file C:\t.ly, you should write
C:/cygwin/bin/bash.exe --login -c "/usr/bin/lilypond /cygdrive/c/t.ly"

Of course, there is a Cygwin command to translate between these two
conventions, so you could say
C:/cygwin/bin/bash.exe --login -c "/usr/bin/lilypond `cygpath -au C:\t.ly`"
The only complication is if you have a file path that contains spaces
(such as ...\Documents and Settings\...) since the spaces are normally
used to separate command options. This is one of the things that are
handled well by the lily-wins script, but seem more or less impossible
to do in a single commmand line.

   /Mats

Josh Don wrote:
I asked a question before, this answer works better than anything you guys told me,
it lets me run lilypond from WSH...

C:/cygwin/bin/bash.exe --login -c "/usr/bin/lily-wins C:/t.ly"

the problem is it doesn't recognise the command line options.
I've tried other options and, I've tried them from the cygwin prompt.
I've tried them in quotes and things. What is up with this?...

C:/cygwin/bin/bash.exe --login -c "/usr/bin/lily-wins --png C:/t.ly"

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/lily-wins", line 56, in ?
    (opts, files)=getopt.getopt (sys.argv[1:],'dh', ['help', 'debug'])
  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/getopt.py", line 89, in getopt
    opts, args = do_longs(opts, args[0][2:], longopts, args[1:])
  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/getopt.py", line 153, in do_longs
    has_arg, opt = long_has_args(opt, longopts)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/getopt.py", line 170, in long_has_args
    raise GetoptError('option --%s not recognized' % opt, opt)
getopt.GetoptError: option --png not recognized

"C:\cygwin\bin\lilypond.exe -h" says this... (but do they work?)

GNU LilyPond 2.4.2
Usage: lilypond [OPTION]... FILE...

Typeset music and/or produce MIDI from FILE.

LilyPond produces beautiful music notation.
For more information, see http://lilypond.org

  -e, --evaluate=EXPR   set option, use -e '(ly:option-usage)' for help
  -f, --format=EXT      select back-end to use
  -h, --help            print this help
  -H, --header=FIELD    write header field to BASENAME.FIELD
  -I, --include=DIR     add DIR to search path
  -i, --init=FILE       use FILE as init file
  -m, --no-layout       produce MIDI output only
  -o, --output=FILE     write output to FILE
  -p, --preview         generate a preview
      --no-pages        don't generate full pages
      --png             generate PNG
      --ps              generate PostScript
      --dvi             generate DVI
      --pdf             generate PDF (default)
      --tex             generate TeX
  -s, --safe-mode       run in safe mode
  -v, --version         print version number
  -V, --verbose         be verbose
  -w, --warranty        show warranty and copyright

http://mail.yahoo.com

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing
        Signals, Sensors and Systems