Elision in lyrics

From: Laura Conrad
Subject: Elision in lyrics
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2005 10:17:36 -0500

There's a typesetting convention for lyrics that when there are what
look like two syllables on a note but it's really only one because one
is elided, you join the syllables with a sort of a tie underneath
them.  You can see how Encore does this on the bottom score of the
first page of this file.

<http://www.cpdl.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=Downloads&file=index&req=getit&lid=2595>

Is there a way to make Lilypond do this?

If so, can it be documented and indexed under "elision", or "Lyrics, elision"?

One of my group members believes strongly that this is the *right
thing to do*, so I might do it if it were easy, but they never did
stuff like that in the 16th century, so I might just not bother
anyway.

(617) 661-8097  fax: (501) 641-5011
233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139