Re: mftrace and lilypond-unstable on Mac OS X

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: mftrace and lilypond-unstable on Mac OS X
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2005 22:44:45 -0800

On 10-Feb-05, at 10:53 AM, David Rogers wrote:
Last night I successfully installed Lilypond 2.5 through Fink on Mac OS X (10.3.7). At first, it wouldn't install due to an error with mftrace. I then downgraded mftrace from 1.1 to 1.0 (i.e. by switching Fink from "use unstable packages" to "don't use unstable packages" just for mftrace, and then switching back to unstable to get Lily).

1. Was it OK to do that? (Lilypond works OK in preliminary testing anyway)

2. Now that I've done that, do I need to prevent Fink from updating mftrace to 1.1 again?

I recommend that you use Lilypond 2.4.2 (use fink unstable, fink install lilypond). Lilypond uses a version number scheme where x.odd.y means unstable, and x.even.y means
stable.  Lily 2.4.2 is actually newer than 2.5.0.  :)

If you want to use bleeding edge software, then you could use the fink experimental packages for Lily 2.5.10 (or so). Search on lilypond-dev for instructions on how to
do this, but unless you know what you're doing, I recommend against it.

- Graham Percival, OSX 10.3.8