Re: lilypond-book

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: lilypond-book
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 16:02:27 +0100

Laura Conrad wrote:
"GP" == Graham Percival <address@hidden> writes:

    GP> On 14-Feb-05, at 9:30 PM, J L wrote:
    >> I think that lilypond-book could be improved so that basic commands
    >> such as \clef can be used, or is there some way to do this without

    GP> I don't understand what you mean.  I've used \clef many times in
    GP> lilypond-book.

I think he means that you have lilypond source in a .ly file, but in
the .lytex file you can specify that this particular printing should
use this clef.  In other words, I'd be able to print the same lilypond
file in treble clef for a singer and in "G_8" clef for a recorder
player,   and in tenor clef for a cello player.

That's easy if you write the actual music in a separate .ly file
and only specify the \score in your LaTeX file. Something like,

\begin{lilypond}
\include{mypiece.ly}
\score{
  \new Staff{\clef bass \mypiece}
}
\end{lilypond}

The main disadvantage is that lilypond-book will not realize that it has
to rerun lilypond if you make a change in the included .ly file, so you
might have to remove the generated lily-*.ly files to make sure that
everything is updated.

  /Mats

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing