Installation Redhat 8, dependencies

From: Peter Adamson
Subject: Installation Redhat 8, dependencies
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 17:01:25 +0000

Perhaps someone could give me some pointers. I have not successfully installed
LilyPond as of yet. I tried with the command-line:
        rpm -i lilypond-2.4.1-1.rh90.ccrma

Althought the package name contains "rh90", it is the one recommended for RH8
on the LilyPond website.

This is the chain of dependency errors I get as I try to install the
successive packages that are required:

        guile >= 1.6.4-8 is needed by lilypond-2.4.1-1.rh90.ccrma
        libpthread.so.0(GLIBC_2.3.2) is needed by guile-1.6.4-8
        glibc-common = 2.3.2-98 is needed by glibc-2.3.2-98
        glibc < 2.3.2 conflicts with glibc-common-2.3.2-101

I can't uninstall glibc because it is required by too many packages. I can't
upgrade glibc because I don't have the right version of glibc-common and I
can't upgrade glibc-common because I don't have the right version of glibc.

So I tried to install from source.

First I installed guile from source (guile-1.6.7.tar.gz).
Then I installed flex from source (flex-2.5.4a.tar.gz).
Then I unpacked lilypond-2.4.4.tar.gz
When I ./configure from ./lilypond-2.4.4 I get the following error:

        ERROR: Please install required programs:  echo no guile-config >= 1.6
        (installed: ) libguile (libguile-dev, guile-devel or guile-dev package).

I then tried to find libguile-dev. The LilyPond website installation
instructions say this might be needed but does not supply a link. I searched
for it but I have only found it in .deb package format. I don't know how to
install a .deb package on RedHat.

Next I obtained and unpacked guile-devel. It directly installed files in
usr/include/libguile/ so I assume that no make install is needed.

I tried ./configure from ./lilypond-2.4.4 again but got the same error:

        ERROR: Please install required programs:  echo no guile-config >= 1.6
        (installed: ) libguile (libguile-dev, guile-devel or guile-dev package).

Next I searched for guile-dev but could not find it.
http://www.gnu.org/software/guile/guile.html only seems to have guile. I
found lots of discussions about guile-dev but no download. Am I missing
something here?

I don't like to ask for help until I have exhausted all possible routes but I
am definately out of my depth now.

Can anyone help?

Thanks a bunch,

Peter