Re: another triplets question

From: Chip
Subject: Re: another triplets question
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 07:06:13 -0800

Paul Scott wrote:
Chip wrote:

Now that the previous triplets question is answered and working properly howabout this one -

I have 4/4 time, 3 triplet 1/2 notes in one measure. I can get the 3 notes in the measure, but the triplet indicator is the # 3 under each individual note, and no bar.

\times 2/3 {fs2 fs fs ~}

I've tried some variations on this -
\set tupletSpannerDuration = #(ly:make-moment 1 4)
in front of it but to no avail.

Did you set this previously? It says group the tuplets in quarter (1 / 4) note groups which is smaller than the grouping you are indicating. The correct one for a 4 quarter note (one whole note) grouping would be:
\set tupletSpannerDuration = #(ly:make-moment 1 1)
meaning whole note (1/1) groupings.

I took me a while to figure out how that related to the tuplets I wanted.

I would guess there is a way to reset tupletSpannerDuration to get it back out if the way but I haven't looked that up yet. Otherwise once you use it in a score you will have to keep changing it for each new tuplet group size.

HTH,

Paul Scott

Thanks Paul,
I did have it set previously in the music for another set of triplets. I set it to make-monent 1 1 and it now prints the half-note triplets correctly. I guess I just don't understand the \times fraction (I'm lousy at anything matematical), how it actually works, I've just been shooting in the dark, trying differant numbers until it 'works'.

Regards,
Chip