email list rules and guidelines, attachments?

From: Steve D
Subject: email list rules and guidelines, attachments?
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 13:04:51 -0700

Regarding lilypond-user, are there guidelines for posting, whether attachments are allowed, what kind of attachments are allowed, etc.?

In searching the archives I found that PNG images were at one time discouraged (during the first quarter of 2004). If PNG or GIF images are now allowed (to illustrate notation problems/solutions), must they not exceed a certain filesize? Should they be attached "inline" or "as an attachment" (would that be Base64-encoded MIME?) in one's email program.

I recently solved one of my own notation problems and wished to attach a PNG image as well as include an annotated excerpt from the .ly file to illustrate how I solved the problem. Although I could upload a PNG to my own webspace and provide a link, that may not be as permanent for the email list archives since my webspace and its contents may change.

Thank you,

Steve D, NM US