A few problems from a new user- Error invoking 'latex', Indenting lines,

From: J. Grady
Subject: A few problems from a new user- Error invoking 'latex', Indenting lines, Placing transcription credit right after the music with the Lilypond credit
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 15:58:23 -0500

I'm a new user and have a few problems I haven't been able to solve:

I have Lilypond 2.4.2. running now, but everytime I run it, although it
produces a pdf from my input, it also gives the error shown below from the
Cygwin window:

address@hidden ~
$ lilypond bjgrove
GNU LilyPond 2.4.2
Processing `bjgrove.ly'
Parsing...
Interpreting music... [8][10]
Preprocessing graphical objects...
Calculating line breaks... [3][6][9][10]
Interpreting music... [8][10]
Preprocessing graphical objects...
Calculating line breaks... [3][6][9][10]
Layout output to `bjgrove.tex'...
Converting to `bjgrove.dvi'...
Error invoking `latex \\nonstopmode \\input bjgrove.tex > /dev/null 2>&1 '.
Retu
rn value 256
Converting to `bjgrove.ps'...
Converting to `bjgrove.pdf'...

address@hidden ~
$

How should I fix this?  Is it an actual problem?  I'm not sure I need Latex
since I have a pdf file.

I'm also having two other problens I can't solve:

1)  Each starting line of my two part fiddle piece is being indented. What
causes this?

2)  The transcription will appear in a magazine article, but probable won't
take up the entire page.  I want my transcription credit to appear with the
Lilypond credit right below the music, rather than at the bottom of the
page, for example:

Transcribed by Yours Truly
Engraved by Lilypond (version 2.4.2)

In trying to fix this, and based on a previous recent posting to the
usergroup, I added the line:
copyright = \markup { "Copyright \\copyright \ 1999"  to my paper setup
(planning to modify it to be my transcription credit) as follows:

\version "2.4.2"
\paper
{
#(set-paper-size "letter")
  topmargin = .5\in
  bottommargin = .75\in
  leftmargin = .625\in
  linewidth = 7.375\in
  copyright = \markup { "Copyright \\copyright \ 1999" }
  }

Adding this does not cause any errors or produce any output concerning a
copyright 1999.

Are the indent and copyright print problems related to the error invoking
latex issue above, or is it something else?  How can the credit be placed
right after the music, rather than at the bottom of the page?

Sincerely,

Jim Grady
Garner, NC