Re: moving ledger lines over

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: moving ledger lines over
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2005 15:21:55 -0800

On 18-Feb-05, at 11:22 PM, Carl Bolstad wrote:
Thanks, Graham! I read the documentation on the force-hshift property
and played around with it a bunch, and I found that sometimes it works
and sometimes it dosen't. Unfortunately, it doesn't work in the actual

I think something else is happening. I don't believe in nondeterministic
lilypond code.  :)

\score {
 \context PianoStaff <<
  \context Staff = "up" {
     \key f \major
     \change Staff = "down"
     f,4 \change Staff = "up" f' f''2
     f'4 f' f' f' f' f' f' f' f' f' f' f'
  }
  \context Staff = "down" {
     \clef bass
     \key f \major
     s8*2/3 a c'

What's the *2/3 for?  Are they really triplets?

If so, how about this?

\score {
 \context PianoStaff <<
  \context Staff = "up" {
     \key f \major
\voiceTwo
     \change Staff = "down"
     f,4 \change Staff = "up" f' f''2
\oneVoice
     f'4 f' f' f' f' f' f' f' f' f' f' f'
  }
  \context Staff = "down" {
     \clef bass
     \key f \major
\voiceOne
     \times 2/3 { s8 a c' }

     \change Staff = "up"
     \times 2/3 { s8 a' c''}
        s2
\oneVoice
     \change Staff = "down"
     f4 f f f f f f f f f f f

If you don't like the triplet beams, then you could go back to the *2/3 thing.

Notice how, in the first measure, the 8th notes (or their stems) bump
into the quarters. OK, here's the same file with the force-hshift
property solution:

If they're real 8th notes, then you'd want this:
\score {
 \context PianoStaff <<
  \context Staff = "up" {
     \key f \major
\voiceTwo
     \change Staff = "down"
     f,4 \change Staff = "up" f' f''2
\oneVoice
     f'4 f' f' f' f' f' f' f' f' f' f' f'
  }
  \context Staff = "down" {
     \clef bass
     \key f \major
\voiceOne
     a8[ c']

     \change Staff = "up"
     a'8[ c'']
        s2
\oneVoice
     \change Staff = "down"
     f4 f f f f f f f f f f f

In any case, you really shouldn't be playing games with s32. Unless you know that what you're doing is very complicated, or you're trying to work around a known bug, look for other solutions to your problem. In this case, I think that voices (see the section on
Polyphony for more details) is the way to go.

Cheers,
- Graham