Re: Feature request - extended ties, addendum

From: Steve D
Subject: Re: Feature request - extended ties, addendum
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 08:05:17 -0700

Hello Han-Wen, all--

Han-Wen, if you do decide to consider my previously mentioned feature request (if it seems like a worthy feature and feasible to you in terms of coding complexity, and worthy of your time when I'm sure there are many things that vie for your attention), I guess I ought to add a few comments to what I have already written about extended or deferred ties (in piano score notation, for example)--

Using this hypothetical construct:

\extendTies { c16~ e~ g~ } <c e g bes>4

It would be nice if the block that contains the notes the ties of which should be extended, were to be able to arbitrarily contain any of the following in addition to regular notes as shown in the example above (because all of the following can potentially appear in piano scores in examples of extended/deferred ties):

* grace notes
* tuples (triplets, etc.)
* chords

So, it would be nice if any of the following were possible:

\relative c' {
   \extendTies { \grace { c'16~ g'~ bes~ d~ e~ a~ } }
      <c,, g' bes d e a>4
}

\relative c' {
   \extendTies { c8~ g'~ \times 2/3 { bes8~ d~ e~ } }
      <c, g' bes d e a>2
}

\relative c' {
   \extendTies { <c e>8~ g' bes <d e a>~ }
      <c, e d' e a>2
}

Those are just hypothetical examples for your consideration, of course. As I mentioned previously, if you consider this a worthy addition to the already excellent and wonderful tool that LilyPond is, I am more than happy to pay for the feature, your time, effort and expertise. I have already received an email from another LilyPond user who also considers this a useful feature and is willing to contribute financially as well.

Thank you very much for your attention and consideration, and thank you for a great product that I am personally very grateful to be able to use.

Best regards,

Steve Doonan, New Mexico, US (UTC -7)

--- previous backgroud material quoted below ---
--- (please forgive the top-posting ---

Steve D wrote:
Han-Wen, all--

Han-Wen, there is a feature for LilyPond that I would be happy to pay for you to develop, whatever amount you think would be appropriate.

It is a feature that persons who score for piano would benefit from and appreciate, so on behalf of myself and future LilyPond users who score for piano, I would like to suggest the feature and ask what you think.

The feature request involves ties. Normally, a tie only appears for a note of exactly the same pitch that immediately follows the note with the tie indicator (~), whether the following note is singular or within a chord. If the following note in the same voice is not the same pitch, or the following chord contains no note of the same pitch, the tie does not appear. Correct?

What would be useful, in piano scoring, is to have a feature to extend a tie or ties of notes within a block, so that the searching for a note with the same pitch, to tie to, is deferred until the end of the block. For example:

\extendTies { c16~ e~ g~ } <c e g bes>4

which would extend the ties of the 16th notes in the preceding block to the c , e and g of the following chord. Likewise:

\extendTies { c16~ e~ f g a b c~ } <c e c'>

would tie the c , e and octave-c of the notes in the block (played with both hands) to the c , e and octave-c in the following chord. If the notes that follow the block are not a chord but instead a single note, then only the note that matches the pitch in the preceding block (and includes a tie marking, of course) would tie to the note following the block. Any other notes in the block that have tie markings would be disregarded.

I'm not sure what other instruments would make use of such notation, but it is not uncommon to see in piano scores. Here is a webpage that illustrates the notation, with references to several popular books on notation that describe this notational convention:

http://www.greschak.com/notation/finale/iwbni/fs711.htm

The feature I am requesting is already possible to implement, but only by writing some fairly complex-looking notation (temporary multiple voices with invisible notes (with visible ties) that precisely duplicate the pitches and horizontal positions of the notes within a primary, visible single voice on a staff, for example).

Thank you for your time and consideration, and thank you, and Jan, and all the developers and contributors to this excellent program.

Best wishes,

Steve Doonan, New Mexico, US (-7 UTC)