Re: "repeat" slashes and the nature of lilypond

From: Walter Hofmeister
Subject: Re: "repeat" slashes and the nature of lilypond
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 19:27:52 -0600

On 2/20/05 4:01 PM, "address@hidden" <address@hidden> wrote:

>> FYI, I find the midi output of chords useful, for the purpose of proof
>> listening. Though the midi output isn't very pleasant to listen to, it's
>> certainly good enough to decide whether the typeset chords fit fairly well
>> with the rest of the music.
>>
>> Erik
>>

> One chord symbol can mean 10 different things to people
> depending on the context of the music and its style, and for Lilypond
> to play those awful-sounding block chords just because of a symbol
> that may or may not reflect that tonal texture at all is simply bad
> practice.

I can see that one chord symbol could be interpreted in a variety of
different voicings/inversions/etc. But it is still written with one
indication/symbol.
    The reason that Lilypond does what it does as I see it is because
Lilypond is capable of transposing the chord symbols along with everything
else. While it is apparent that this may not be a valuable feature for you,
I have used several other notation packages and subscribed to several other
news groups for these other notation programs and although I have not made
use of chord name transposition, many others have requested this feature. To
my knowledge, Lilypond is the only program that I am aware of that does
this. I am thankful that it is a feature that is included as a possibility.

Walter Hofmeister