Re: "repeat" slashes and the nature of lilypond

From: Chuck Boody
Subject: Re: "repeat" slashes and the nature of lilypond
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 22:44:13 -0600

On Feb 20, 2005, at 9:05 PM, <address@hidden> wrote:

By now, it is clear to everybody that you consider chord symbols to be
graphical objects and nothing more. Since Lilypond allows that - with
perhaps some tweaking here and there, and perhaps some minor syntactic
sugar to make the process more comfortable - I guess you must be happy.

Then, what is the point of a statement such as the one above ? Myself,
as well as a number of others believe that Lilypond's system ain't all
that bad. Support for transposition is useful. We don't force you - or
anyone, for that matter - to like it or to use it. You can do without
it, that's ok with us. But please, don't feel as if you had the only
truth in hand about what is or what is not useful, appropriate, correct,
standard, good practice, etc.

Darius.

I apologize if I've offended anyone. I have a tendency to repeat myself.

Support for transposition is indeed useful, but I don't see how you
need the block chords to accomplish that. All you need is the base
notename; the symbols could carry from whatever notename you
specified.

I'm no great shakes as a lilypond user, but I do understand the need for transposable chord names. Some of us (many of us?) may create leadsheets of one sort or another. Essentially those are melody and chord names. If there is a need to transpose the thing it is cumbersome at best to have to transpose the chord names. As to the many methods of describing chords: There really are only a couple in common usage and one that is extremely common. If lilypond supports that, and it appears from this discussion that it does, I can see no real problem with creating the transposition or creating MIDI files (shich of course merely act as aural checks for right chords and don't imply anything at all about spacing or even inversion....

Chuck Boody