Score.skipBars

From: Jennifer Clark
Subject: Score.skipBars
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 17:13:30 +0000

Hello folks,

I have been preparing several scores where it is useful to have the ability to have numbered multi-rest bars rather than, say, 32 full bar rests. I have been able to implement this using the following setting as described in the manual:-

 \set Score.skipBars = ##t

The only problem is that sometimes I can get it to work for me, but other times not, and I have been unable to figure out why. For example, the following source does not work, the bars come out fully expanded:-

\header {
   \include "header.ly"
 subtitle = "Clarinet (Vocal Version)"
}

\include "notes.ly"

\score {
 \notes <<
 \time 4/4
 \set Score.markFormatter
   = #(lambda (mark  context)
   (make-bold-markup (make-box-markup
   (make-markletter-markup (1- mark)))))

 {
   % Bb Instruments
   <<
   \context ChordNames {
     \set chordChanges = ##t
     \transpose bes c'
     \Changes
   }
   \context Staff {
     \key d \major
     \clef treble
      \set Score.skipBars = ##t
     \transpose bes c''
      {\Intro \notes{r2 \bar"||" R1*11 r2} \LeadBreak R1*8}

 \midi { \tempo 4=140 }

 \paper{
   papersize = "a4"
   indent = 0

But the source below does work as expected. I seem to have reached a brick wall in trying to figure out why, so any help would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance, Jennifer.

\header {
 \include "header.ly"
 \include "directions.ly"
 subtitle = "Tenor Sax"
}

%  \include "english.ly"
\include "notes.ly"

\score {
 \notes <<
 \time 4/4
 \set Score.markFormatter
   = #(lambda (mark  context)
   (make-bold-markup (make-box-markup
   (make-markletter-markup (1- mark)))))

 {
   <<
   \context ChordNames {
     \set Staff.midiInstrument = "acoustic piano"
     \set chordChanges = ##t
     %\transpose bes c'
     %\Changes
   }
   \context Staff {
     \set Staff.midiInstrument = "tenor sax"
     #(set-accidental-style 'modern-cautionary)
     \key c \major
     \clef treble
     \set Score.skipBars = ##t
     \transpose c c'
     {\TenorSax}
   }
   %\lyricsto "" \new Lyrics \lyrics { the text }

 }

 \include "settings.ly"