Re: need to update [OT]

From: Peter B. Steiger
Subject: Re: need to update [OT]
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 09:19:15 -0700

On Fri, 2005-02-25 at 10:21 +0000, David Bobroff wrote:
> I'm looking for suggestions for a Linux distribution.  I'd like to get
> back to compiling LilyPond from CVS.

If you can handle that, you can handle Linux From Scratch
(www.linuxfromscratch.org).  It's a complete step-by-step guide to
acquiring and building the source for the whole enchilada.  You
piggyback a new build of the gcc and kernel environments onto your
existing distro, then switch the boot loader over to your new install.

I did it moving from RH 7.3 several years ago, and it was a breeze (it
took two or three days of constant compiling, but it was easy).  If
somebody like me with no prior C experience can do it, anybody can do
it.

Now I have complete control over what goes into my system.  There isn't
a file on here that I didn't put there; my desktop has the bare minimum
necessary to run the programs I choose and nothing more.

--
Peter B. Steiger
Cheyenne, WY