Re: hyphen in \markup

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: hyphen in \markup
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2005 09:56:08 +0100

Why do you use version 2.5.0? If you want to do any serious typesetting,
you should stick to stable releases. Note, that version 2.4.4, for
example is more recent than 2.5.0. On the other hand, if you are curious
about the latest news in the development series, than you should use any
of the most recent 2.5.x versions. If this is the only version available
as a package for your OS, than you should complain loudly to the package
maintainer.

I can confirm that the hyphen does show up in version 2.4.4.
However, if you search the mailing list archives, you will learn
that there have been some problems related to how dashes are treated
in different font encodings.

   /Mats

David Bobroff wrote:
In this ridiculously short example:

\score{
    R1^\markup{No! Me-}
}

I want a hyphen to appear as it does in the input.  It does not appear
in the output.  It seems to print as a space.  I've tried enclosing all
of the markup text in quotes, I've tried enclosing just the hyphen in
quotes.  The hyphen simply does not appear in output.  The '-'
charactery is simply an ASCII character, no?  Shouldn't it be printable
as part of a \markup text string?

v2.5.0.hwn1

-David

        Mats Bengtsson