printing weirdness

From: David Bobroff
Subject: printing weirdness
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 19:49:04 +0000

I mentioned some strange printing behavior the other day.  I just ran
some tests and have this to offer:

I'm using a freshly compiled v2.5.15 (ChangeLog 1.3285).

The output file is a single page of music.

Printing from ggv (Fedora Core 3 / Gnome) I get a page with just:

IB

...in the upper left corner of the page

Printing from gpdf and xpdf seem to produce identical results.
Everything is there, but it looks a bit too high on the page.  The title
is close to the top and the tagline looks too far from the bottom.

Printing the PDF file from the # prompt using lpr foo.pdf sets the piece
rather high and the line width is greater extending the lines farther to
the left.  The title and composer are not on the page.  The first line
of music is quite close to the top of the page.

Printing the PS file from the # prompt using lpr foo.ps produces an
error message box:

*********************************
Printing of "(stdin)" on printer
"HP_1200" was aborted.

You may want to find out why.
*********************************

Even with this error I get printed output.  First a page comes out with:

PCL XL error
        Subsystem:      KERNEL
        Error:          IllegalTag
        Operator:       0x1b
        Position:       2

Then a second page comes out with the printed music.  And, as when
printing the PDF from the command line, the line width is more than in
the other printouts, plus there is no tag line.  Is this the IllegalTag
mentioned above?

This stuff is beyond me.  All the viewers I have use 'lpr' for printing.
Why should I get different behavior?  Is this a Lily problem?  Is it a
problem for the Fedora/Gnome crowd? Is it a configuration problem with
my personal set-up?

??

-David