2.5.15: Wow, That's a Lot of Garbage

From: Will Oram
Subject: 2.5.15: Wow, That's a Lot of Garbage
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2005 17:42:02 -0500

I just installed 2.5.15 on my Mac. I wanted to batch convert an entire directory using convert-ly, but the 2.5 docs removed the instructions on how to do this. First off, I hope this feature's not dead?

Not being able to batch convert, I just did the two most important files. I also changed some things manually -- specifically, rewriting all instances of \column. That being the only syntax change between 2.4.x and 2.5.15 I could think of, I went ahead and ran lilypond.

I got a LOT of garbage back. Maybe it's a debugging feature of 2.5.15, I don't know. But lilypond failed, and there was enough garbage output to make it impossible to identify what I did wrong. The first billion lines or so were cut off the terminal screen, but the top of the screen looks like this:

 #<Mom 235> = () synced
 #<Mom 941/4> = () synced
 #<Mom 1883/8> = () synced
 #<Mom 471/2> = () synced
 #<Mom 943/4> = () synced
 #<Mom 1887/8> = () synced
 #<Mom 236> = () synced
 #<Mom 945/4> = () synced
 #<Mom 1891/8> = ()
 #<Mom 473/2> = () synced
 #<Mom 947/4> = () synced
 #<Mom 237> = () synced
 #<Mom 238> = () synced
 #<Mom 239> = () synced
 #<Mom 957/4> = () synced
 #<Mom 1915/8> = () synced
 #<Mom 479/2> = () synced
 #<Mom 959/4> = () synced
 #<Mom 1919/8> = () synced
 #<Mom 240> = () synced
 #<Mom 961/4> = () synced
 #<Mom 1923/8> = ()
 #<Mom 481/2> = () synced
 #<Mom 963/4> = () synced
 #<Mom 241> = () synced
 #<Mom 242> = () synced
 #<Mom 485/2> = ()
 #<Mom 971/4> = () synced
 #<Mom 243> = () synced
 #<Mom 487/2> = () synced

And so on. The only clue I have is the last line, saying

xyz.ly:246:1: error: syntax error, unexpected MIDI:

        \midi { \tempo 2 = 75 }

/sw/share/lilypond/2.5.15/ly/init.ly:36:69: error: syntax error, unexpected $end:
   (apply ly:make-book $defaultpaper $globalheader toplevel-scores)))

This is clearly legal syntactically, so I'm stumped past this point.

I have to smile and remember
when you accuse me of that smell
                       _   |  WILL ORAM
ASCII ribbon campaign ( )  |  spamguy (at) foxchange . com
 - against HTML email  X   |  wro1 (at) cwru . edu
             & vCards / \  |
                           |  AIM spamguy21
(ABOVE: Magnetic poetry #3)