Wasted Space Below Header

From: Will Oram
Subject: Wasted Space Below Header
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2005 02:21:14 -0500

I'm new to the art of page breaking, so if this has been addressed I apologise; I couldn't find it around the list.

I'm trying to engrave an orchestral score onto legal sized paper using 2.4.5 (I wrote earlier today using 2.5.15, but downgraded because I am on a deadline to engrave this.) Ideally the systems should spread down the page to minimise empty space at the bottom of the page. Clearly toying with ***VerticalExtent parameters resolves this for one page only, and with a lot of effort.

I tried to use \pageBreak in combination with raggedbottom to do this. i.e.,

spacing = {
        s2. | s2. | s2. | s2. | s2. | \pageBreak
        % etc etc etc
}

\layout {
        \context { \RemoveEmptyStaffContext }
        raggedbottom = ##f % false is what I want, right?
}

However, the page break does not occur, and there is a gigantic (~10 cm) amount of empty space between the piece header and the first system. There is no change in space between staves either.

What's the proper procedure to get an even system spread every page?

I have to smile and remember
when you accuse me of that smell
                       _   |  WILL ORAM
ASCII ribbon campaign ( )  |  spamguy (at) foxchange . com
 - against HTML email  X   |  wro1 (at) cwru . edu
             & vCards / \  |
                           |  AIM spamguy21
(ABOVE: Magnetic poetry #3)