Fingering both above and below chord

From: Kilian A. Foth
Subject: Fingering both above and below chord
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 14:54:47 +0100

Hello list,

I want to set fingerings above and below a massive chord to indicate
that the pianist should `borrow' the left thumb to play the lowest
note of the middle chord. (Yes, I do want the numbers to piled on top
of each other. No, I don't care about wasting vertical space.) So I
write

\relative c'' {
\key e \major
        \set fingeringOrientations = #'(up up up up up)
        <a-1 cis-2 e-3 gis-4 b-5>32
        \set fingeringOrientations = #'(down up up up up)
        <fis-1 a-1 cis-2 e-3 gis-4>
        \set fingeringOrientations = #'(up up up up up)
        <a-1 cis-2 e-3 gis-4 b-5>2...|
}

But the output is as if the middle chord had been specified as
#'(down down up up up): two numbers go below the chord and three
above.

The manual implies that you can tune the placement of every individual
number by giving the full list of positions, but apparently you can't.
What precisely is the effect of setting the fingeringOrientations
property? Can I somehow trick the engraver to split the numbers 1-4
instead of 2-3?

--
Kilian Foth                                    Phone +49 40 42883-2518
AB NATS, FB Informatik                         Fax   +49 40 42883-2515