Re: Version of lilypond for FreeBSD

From: Aaron Dalton
Subject: Re: Version of lilypond for FreeBSD
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 09:54:02 -0700 (MST)

What is happening is your daughter's computer is a newer version of FreeBSD and apparently it will not compile on 5.2 systems. You can try to force the issue by editing the file /usr/ports/print/lilypond/Makefile and removing the 3-line section that says "BROKEN= Will not compile....." and then reinstall the port. I know that I have got lilypond working on my FreeBSD system, but it took alot of manual tweaking.

Unfortunately, it appears that the FreeBSD port maintainer that originally imported v2.2.2 has abandoned the port (cannot be contacted) and I simply don't have the expertise necessary to take over. Until somebody does, you won't see v2.5 in the ports tree anytime soon =(

I run Windows on another machine and have found the Cygwin process to be easy and painless. You may wish to consider migrating since it seems you don't have time to fiddle. My very recent run-in with convert-ly to transform *my* 2.2.2 documents to 2.5 was very good and you shouldn't have any problems I hope. Best of luck to you, and congratulations on your ordination.

Cheers!
Aaron