Re: Simple OS X Lily previewer in the works (was getting Lily/mftrace on

From: Ed Baskerville
Subject: Re: Simple OS X Lily previewer in the works (was getting Lily/mftrace on MacOSX)
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 12:41:43 -0800

(2) Any other key features you'd like to see?
point and click.

I've received a number of requests for "point-and-click." I haven't been following the discourse on the recent "point-and-click" developments in LilyPond carefully enough, so I'm not sure what is being asked for. Do you want a full graphical editor? (I do too.) Something that lets you click on a note and highlight the code? (Even that would be nice.) Or something else? These things are probably beyond my time constraints right now, but I'll keep these requests in mind.

firstly, i am very grateful for the work that goes into valuable creations, and feel that nobody should work for nothing. however, as an experimental composer, i often find myself working for little to nothing.

I'm a cellist who has been spending a significant amount of time recently on experimental projects that do not, as of yet, provide any financial support--so I understand the conflict between financial and artistic fulfillment. To completely ignore the long and complicated discourse on intellectual property and free software: I need to pay my bills, and cello isn't doing that right now. I could look for contract programming jobs--and I may yet find myself again with a full-time job--but right now I'd much prefer to write software that really interests me, that I myself will use, and that serves a community I personally care about. Unfortunately, to do that, I need to ask for compensation.

That said, I plan to release this tool as some flavor of shareware, and I certainly want to make it affordable to the experimental composer or composition student or struggling cellist "slash" programmer*.

--Ed

*and not the other way around: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0196229/