RE: install on windows 2000 existing cygwin?

From: Ruth Ivimey-Cook
Subject: RE: install on windows 2000 existing cygwin?
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 11:47:05 -0000

> > I'm not sure about this... Cygwin puts all 'executables' in /usr/bin.
> > Perhaps re-running setup, and clearing the checkmark next to Lilypond
> > would work, but I think you'd better ask the Cygwin mailing list about
> > this.
> Just rerun setup.exe and select "uninstall" for the packages
> you want to remove. Note that as soon as you select the

AFAIK, it is possible to uninstall the whole of cygwin by deleting the whole
tree. I am not aware of any significant registry settings to uninstall (see
note below).

Of course, if you wish to uninstall only a few of the packages, you should use
setup.exe as indicated by Mats.

If you just want some disk space back, you might wish to delete the stored
packages. In my install I keep them in c:\cygwin\packages\..., but you might
have them in c:\packages. I believe it is safe to delete the subdirectories of
this directory (there are a couple of files in there which I am not so sure
about).

Ruth

Note: I did find a few entries in my own registry:

- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions (with a copy in
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cygnus Solutions)

-
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOrder\
Start Menu2\Programs\Cygwin.

None of these will cause any problems if you leave them there with no cygwin
installed.