Re: My opinion

From: Hans Forbrich
Subject: Re: My opinion
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 12:19:12 -0600

On March 16, 2005 01:14 am, Tim Fechtner wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Maybe this isn't the place, but well. I think that the development of
> lilypond is going in the right direction, and the new feature like
> independence from TeX, SVG export and in the future a graphical backend
> are exactly what I personally need. Thanks to all developers for making
> this possible.

Yet another who agrees! (Again)

> Tim
>
> (PS: Also the idea of using XML as input format whould be a big step.)

I had the same idea and question several years ago.  The response was an
adamant 'NO'.

I've since concluded that the response was, and still is, correct.  If nothing
else, separation ensures that Lilypond is not to dancing to someone else's
definition, relegating Lilypond to a 'mere music typesetting program, albeit
producing superior quality output'.  Other reasons:

- keeps the syntax tight;
- maintains independence of possible front end mechanisms;
- keeps flexibility to support the community's needs.

Far better, IMO, is an efficient conversion, possibly using convert-ly

/Hans
--
Proud user of Lilypond Music Typesetting Tools
http://www.lilypond.org