Problems with polyphony (rests, dynamics, lyrics, tempo)

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Problems with polyphony (rests, dynamics, lyrics, tempo)
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 16:25:22 +0100

Hi all,
I recently started using lilypond, and now I'm type-setting two SATB songs for
our choir. I put the two files on our server (username: lily, password:
pond):
http://www.fam.tuwien.ac.at/~reinhold/lyprobs/

I'm using GNU LilyPond 2.4.2 on Debian linux (installed from the snapshots at
www.pedrokroeger.net)

And here are my problems:

1) How can I combine the rests of Soprano and Alto to one rest shown in the
middle of the staff? I found several suggestions (basically overriding
Voice.MultiMeasureRest's #'staff-position value), but none of them worked for
me. They simply didn't have any effect. This problem appears in both
IchHabDichLiebMeinWien.ly and SchoenbrunnDuMeinTraum.ly.

2) Since I also need the midi file, and possibly generate separate scores for
each voice, I have to add the dynamics to every voice. However, then the
piano, crescendo signs etc. appear twice, overwriting some notes (see
SchoenbrunnDuMeinTraum.ly). How can I make lilypond print out these dynamics
only once (for the staff instead of separately for each voice), while the
midi will still apply them to both voices in the staff?

3) I have two stanzas (both are assigned to the soprano voice in the choir
staff), but the lyrics look too much separated vertically. How can I decrease
the spacing of two lyrics lines? (In both pieces)

4) In IchHabDichLiebMeinWien.ly, I'd like the || bar after measure 31 to span
the whole choir staff. How can I do this? (Again, I'd also be able to
generate separate sheets for each voice, so this shouldn't change the notes
so much that they can be only used inside a ChoirStaff).

5) In IchHabDichLiebMeinWien.ly, the refrain is the same for both stanzas,
only one phrase shortly before the end is different. Thus, I'd like to print
the lyrics only once for both stanzas, and only have that short phrase with
two lines of lyrics (ideally centered at the baseline with a {...} brace
around so that it doesn't look like women/men's lyrics). Is this possible
somehow?
Ideally, I'd like to have 1.-2. at the beginning of the refrain, and 1. and 2.
at the beginning of the two lines of that short phrase (which should be
grouped by a { brace as mentioned above). Is this possible in lilypond?

As a workaround, currently I'm using lots of \skip4 in the second stanza until
that phrase (which means it's not vertically centered at the baseline, and it
looks like separate women/men's lyrics).
Also, for skipping the common lyrics in the refrain, using \skip2.*24 doesn't
seem to work, it only skips one note (regardless of its length). Is this a
bug?

5) How can I add a ritardando so that it also takes effect in the midi? Using
markup doesn't help in that case since that is just a visual representation,
but doesn't effect the midi.

6) How can I add a "rit. - - - - - - - - - - - - " indication, where the
dashes range until a fixed, given note? What I have in mind is the same as
the crescendo when using \setTextCresc.

7) How can I make the tempo indications not overwrite the measure counts, the
fermatas and the dynamic symbols? This happens e.g. in
SchoenbrunnDuMeinTraum.pdf .

Thanks a lot in advance!

Cheers,
Reinhold