Re: Orchestral tempo markings

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Orchestral tempo markings
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 11:40:33 -0800

On 27-Mar-05, at 5:37 AM, Luke Palmer wrote:
I'm transcribing a 15 part orchestral piece, and we've come to the point
of putting in tempo markings.  After doing it the obvious way for a few
parts (r1^\allegroMaNonTroppo), I decided it might be better to create a
"mock staff" everywhere we want the tempo markings, and just write them
once.  That would easily solve the problem that we only want the
markings on the top of the conductor's score, not on every part.
However, when I look at the piano part for which I've done this, it is
far too spaced out (three systems per page).  Is there a way I can do
this?  Is there another standard technique for tempo markings?

Have you tried using \mark ? If you use \mark "Allegro ma non Troppo" in every piece, then it will be printed on all the parts, but it will only be
printed once in the score.

Cheers,
- Graham