Re: centred piece titles

From: David Rogers
Subject: Re: centred piece titles
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 12:11:12 -0800

Jamie Bullock wrote:

>Looking at the archives, this seems to have come up before, but I can't
>seem to get a working solution. What is the best way to get the titles
>of movements centred? At the moment I am using "\book \score \header
>{ piece = "piece1"}" as outlined in the manual to seperate movements,
>but of course this gives left-aligned formatting.

A simple way is to use the subtitle (or even the subsubtitle) slot for
the piece name, assuming one of those slots is still free.

If you want to take total control, you can change all the settings in a
single book by adding bookTitleMarkup and scoreTitleMarkup commands to
the \paper block, which will override Lilypond's defaults. It took me
some time to figure out how to read and modify this setup, but after
some trial and error, I got the hang of it. Watch out for which ending
brackets belong to a \column, and which belong to a \fill-line! (A
\fill-line with two items puts the first one on the far left of the
page, and the other on the far right.)

(Note - I believe the baseline-skip property shown here only applies if
a single element is so long as to require a line break. It doesn't
change spacing between elements.)

The defaults that lilypond 2.5.17 uses to format title positions are:

\paper{

bookTitleMarkup = \markup {
  \override #'(baseline-skip . 3)
  \column {
    \fill-line { \fromproperty #'header:dedication }
    \column {
      \override #'(baseline-skip . 3.5)
      \huge \bigger \bold
      \fill-line {
    \bigger \fromproperty #'header:title
      }
      \fill-line {
    \large \smaller \bold
    \bigger  \fromproperty #'header:subtitle
      }
      \fill-line {
    \smaller \bold
    \fromproperty #'header:subsubtitle
      }
      \fill-line {
    \fromproperty #'header:poet
    { \large \bold \fromproperty #'header:instrument }
    \column {
      \fromproperty #'header:composer
      \fromproperty #'header:arranger

scoreTitleMarkup = \markup {