Re: barline question

From: Karl Hammar
Subject: Re: barline question
Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2005 18:18:16 +0200

> Hi :)
>
> In case you didn't read my original post:
>
> I am creating a score for a piece of H. Schütz with Lilypond 2.2.5
> (with Fink on Mac). When setting this old kind of music it is often
> better to not use a standard Choirstaff, but to use the bar lines only
> between the bars. As far as I know this is quite common in late
> renaissance and early baroque vocal music.
>
> So I used a StaffGroup and set the Staff.BarLine #'transparent = ##t.
> Since I needed repeat signs, I had to be able to put the transparency
> off to avoid losing the repeat signs themselves.
> The result: I have a part that shows the bar lines between the staves
> only, except for the repeat signs.
> One detail: for the repeat signs I used \bar ":|" instead of \repeat
> volta. It doesn't seem to make a difference for this problem though.
>
> One problem remains: the lyrics are running into the bar lines. In the
> documentation I found that adding the Bar_engraver to the Lyrics
> context would avoid this. This works, but it adds barlines below the
> last staff and prints the repeat sign : -- : on the Lyrics height.
> Trying to avoid that, I used \override BarLine #'transparent = ##t, but
> this leaves a hole in the vertical repeat bar line.
>
> Any idea how to be able to avoid lyric-bar line-collisions without
> having to nudge each lyric into the right position?
>
> Thanks in advance :)
>
> greets
>
> Maurits

If you use

 \set Score.defaultBarType = ""

as in the attached example you don't need to do all the

 \once \override Staff.BarLine #'transparent = ##t

And if you add the

 \override SpanBar #'glyph = #"|"

you don't get the "|:" in the span bar.

I have no solution for the lyrics problem.
How do you "nudge" the lyrics?

===

My personal preference is to use GroupStaff and no bar lines alt.

 \set Score.defaultBarType = ":"

I find the span bar / mensurstrich ugly and of not that much help
since a \breve etc. can span over the span bar and in that way the
singer is fooled by the span bar. And it gets in the way of the
lyrics.

Regards,
/Karl