Re: Still frustrated with chords

From: S L Raymond
Subject: Re: Still frustrated with chords
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 12:23:18 -0500

Paul Scott wrote:

S L Raymond wrote:

I am having a hell of a time trying to figure out how to notate certain chords in a lead sheet.

Specifically, Dm/sus/b5 and Fm(maj7).

The best I can render for the former is "Dm7sus/add 11" which is a bit tedious.
For the latter, I can find no solution.

Plus, I can't even figure out how to achieve a simple sus chord. "<root>:sus" doesn't work.

Aren't there just some simple rules I can follow?

This may not answer all questions but have you read all of these:

5.14 Popular music <cid:part1.09000704.04060204@ultrasw.com>

   * 5.14.1 Chord names <cid:part2.04040302.08070305@ultrasw.com>
   * 5.14.2 Chords mode <cid:part3.02040009.08030000@ultrasw.com>
* 5.14.3 Printing chord names <cid:part4.07010806.07030409@ultrasw.com>

Appendix C Notation manual details <cid:part5.04050100.05080908@ultrasw.com>

   * C.1 Chord name chart <cid:part6.08000000.03090503@ultrasw.com>

in the manual?

Paul Scott

That doesn't help me at all. I'm not entering chords on the staff, but by name in a \chordmode block. Nothing in the manual addresses naming conventions in this context. How do people writing Jazz lead sheets deal with this? Plus, I'm not happy with the nomenclature. For example, there is no plain "sus." Only "sus4," "sus2," etc. And I'd rather omit the "add" in chords like "C7/add9" and "D6/add9," preferring instead "C9" and "D69" (where 6 and 9 are stacked). There are more examples I could give, but basically all I want is a means for tailoring the chord names to reflect common shorthand conventions, as per my own preference.

Jazz composers, help me out! I've got a major project that's on hold until I can resolve this issue.