Re: Still frustrated with chords

From: Paul Scott
Subject: Re: Still frustrated with chords
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 14:24:13 -0700

S L Raymond wrote:

Paul Scott wrote:

S L Raymond wrote:

f:maj7.3- actually works (even if it seems backwards from the way we were thinking).

Sure, but jazz performers might be confused when reading a chart that contains an 'Fmaj7b3' chord. Functionally, it shouldn't be treated as a major chord with a flattened third, but as a minor chord with a "color" note.

The funny thing is that it prints as Fm with a triangle for a major seventh which I think is what you wanted. I think one of the other modes can give you something else if you don't want the triangle.

Again, in a Jazz chart there are certain preferences. When an improvisor reads "sus" without a modifier, he is allowed to treat it as an 11th chord, a sus4 with an added 12th, a major triad one whole step down, etc. depending on personal taste.

The regression test example tries to fix exactly that but it looks like you have to do something for each possible "sus" chord.

I agree and I guess this is where you have to build your own - which I have not done yet. This and other things have examples in the regression tests around:

Perhaps a techie could present us with a script that does conversions?

I just tried and it doesn't look easy.

Paul