Re: midi2ly

From: Antonio PALAMA'
Subject: Re: midi2ly
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 23:27:21 +0200

I have to disagree with Mats; a properly encoded midifile contains more information than a printed score. A printed score contains all the information necessary to a musician to play the music. A midi file contains the actual performance of the musician. The problem is that the two encodings are completely different and many shorthands are used in a printed score to simplify the typesetting which are equivalent to complex midi constructs (e.g. articulations). Some information available on the printed score may be unavaliable in the midifile (e.g. fingering instructions) but this is not essential. Also, as Mats points out, converting the timing information of a live rocorded midifile to note durations can be very difficult unless one has the possibility to filter the midifile trough a sequencer program with the "fit improvisation" function. I wrote another conversion program from midi to lilypond (www.nongnu.org/mi2ly) and would be interested in trying it on one of the midifiles you were not able to translate with midi2ly. Unfortunately the program is not yet able to process chords nor multiple voices per track.
Regards,
Antonio Palama'

address@hidden wrote:

Thanks Mats. You were right my problem was with the syntax; and, importing files from midi is not going to save much work. Another problem is that not all Type 1 midi files are recognized by midi2ly. Conversely the midi files created by Lilypond are not recognized by my Windows based notation program( an old version of Cakewalk). They are recognized by Windows Media Player and Winamp. This is all very interesting. I am not a programmer, but I am quickly getting used to the syntax in Lilypond. It is very intuitive, and aside from a few minor inconveniences, it is a wonderful tool. Thanks for your help.
Pat