Re: music-drawing-routines.ps

From: dpeach
Subject: Re: music-drawing-routines.ps
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 15:37:41 -0500

address@hidden:~$ printenv TEXMF
{/usr/share/lilypond/2.4.5,{!!/home/david/.texmf-config,!!/home/david/.texmf-var,/home/david/texmf,!!/usr/share/texmf-config,!!/usr/share/texmf-var,!!/usr/share/texmf,!!/usr/share/texmf-local,!!/usr/share/texmf-dist}}

Looks OK and tells me that you have teTeX version 3, which might
be highly relevant.

One thing I noticed about this output after I sent it was that it mentions 4 directories in my /home/david dir which do not exist! That seems important to me. I know 2 of them are hidden, but I have checked that and they are not there. This seems key to me.

address@hidden:~$ kpsewhich music-drawing-routines.ps
/usr/share/lilypond/2.4.5/tex/music-drawing-routines.ps

OK! I realize now that the relevant thing to check probably is what
kpsewhich -format="dvips config" music-drawing-routines.ps
returns. Hopefully, it should answer with
/usr/share/lilypond/2.4.5/ps/music-drawing-routines.ps
on your system.

Nothing. No output.

There is one here: /usr/share/lilypond/2.4.5/tex/music-drawing-routines.ps

And one here:/usr/share/lilypond/2.4.5/ps/music-drawing-routines.ps

Have you tried to read them (as a normal user) so it's not a problem
with the permissions higher up in the hierarchy?

Yes, I can read both files as a normal user (using less and the filename, is that sufficient?).

So far, everything looks completely normal. As a last resort, you
could try to set the environment variable KPATHSEA_DEBUG to -1,
manually run the command:
dvips  -t "letter"   -u+ec-mftrace.map -u+lilypond.map -Ppdf peregrino
and then look through the resulting debug information that's printed to
stderr, to try to find out why the file isn't found.

I set the environment variable as suggested. I ran the command and it gave me the same errors. I am clueless as to what stderr is and googling did not shed much more light on the situation. Can you elaborate?

dpeach