Re: Starting up Lilypond

From: Tanguy Léost
Subject: Re: Starting up Lilypond
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 12:58:24 +0200

Sacha Standen wrote:

Hello
I have just downloaded Lilypond onto Windows ME, but don't have the faintest idea where to go from here! All the instructions seem to be in technical language that I can't follow. I've saved the text file, which opens a PDF window with an extract of music in, which I presume means the installation has worked, but I can't find any icon to load the Lilypond programme. In the Tutorial section 2.2 it tells me to open a terminal window (what's that?) and start a text editor (?) e.g. open an xterm(??) and execute Joe(???). I'm getting confused here. Please excuse my technical ignorance. Perhaps I should be using Finale! Regards Sacha

Hello,

maybe this link will be useful:
http://olympus.het.brown.edu/doc/lilypond/html/Documentation/windows/out-www/installing.html

Lilypond has no GUI, so maybe that's why you're so confused.
It's quite easy to use, anyway... you have to type the score with a text editor, save it (e.g. test.ly) and then run lilypond
on the file (lilypond test.ly)  to get a nice sheet of music.
As far as i know, if you use windows you have to use the 'cygwin' software to be able to run lilypond. Maybe
you already installed it?

--
Unix IS user friendly , it is just selective about who his friends are