Re: Notes in Key Sig

From: Nicolas Sceaux
Subject: Re: Notes in Key Sig
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2005 15:23:22 +0200

Bernard Hurley <address@hidden> writes:

> I think one of the nice things about lilypond is that it allows you to
> separate data from presentation. For instance the third note of your
> example is C sharp. This is normally represented by cis' in a lilypond
> score i.e. as data representing a particular note. How it appears in the
> final printed score depends on lots of things: key signature, what notes
> precede it in the bar, whether or not it is the only part on the stave,
> policy on cautionary accidentals etc.. any of which I can change
> independently. Suppose you wished to incorporate your example into a
> larger work in b flat minor, but did not wish to change the key
> signature for a few bars, then you would have to edit the c' to make it
> cis'. In the end the standard lilypond representation leads to less
> problems and it can't be that difficult for a musician.

To make it clear: I don't think it is a good idea to type c instead
of cis, and I do value data/presentation separation. The purpose of
my post was just to show that no preprocessor was needed for that
particular task, as it can be done directly with LilyPond. Just to
have fun with a little hack...

nicolas