chords and lyrics, no melody

From: James Classen
Subject: chords and lyrics, no melody
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2005 19:36:51 -0700 (PDT)

I'm sure this is possible, and that I just haven't
figured it out yet.  I would like to be able to have
two output formats, one with the staff and one
without.  Some guitar players find the notes
distracting, and only want to see the chords and words
to a song (for example, my brother).  I've been unable
to get the chords and words to line up properly
without the staff, however.  The examples here
(http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.4/Documentation/user/out-www/lilypond/The-Lyrics-context.html)
gave me an idea, to put durations after the words, but
the text would not line up properly.

If you'd like to look at the code to my attempts, I
have attached the files.  The first file, 'test.ly',
is nearly a copy of the first measure-and-a-half of
the original.  The next two are attempts to get the
chords to line up without the notes.  The staff still
appears, probably because of the 'Voice' context, but
below it are the chords and words, not lining up as I
would like them to.  'test2.ly' is the closest I was
able to come, but it wouldn't let me put a hyphen
between 'le' and 'lu', nor a duration for the hyphen
after 'lu'.  Any help on this would be appreciated!

James Classen

http://mail.yahoo.com
harmonies = \chordmode {
  \times 2/3 { a4 a:2sus a } |