Re: Spacing in Lyrics

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Spacing in Lyrics
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 14:46:16 +0200

If you provide a small example file, it's much easier to provide
an answer. How do you write these characters in the input file?
If you specify them using the TeX codes such as "\k a", then
LilyPond has no chance to calculate the correct metrics. However,
if you input them into the file using latin2 encoding (or whatever
character set is relevant), use
\header{
  inputencoding = "latin2"
}
in LilyPond and specify
\override Lyrics . LyricText #'font-name = #"ecrm1000"
then it should be able to get the correct metrics.
Note that this only applies to version 2.2. Version 2.4 is limited to
latin1 whereasthe latest development versions and the upcoming stable
2.6 series work with UTF8 which solves all these problems.

   /Mats

Stefan Schmitt wrote:
Hi,

I'm work on some songs with Polish lyrics, using Lilypond 2.2.
I use T1 fontencoding and a corresponding font, all glyphs appear
correctly, but the word distance is too small when "special"
characters, e.g. "\k a" or "\' s" are used. I get the same result using
various fonts, e.g. ecrm1000 or ptmr8r, so I think Lilypond can't get
the correct metrics for the glyphs. Any hints?

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing
        Signals, Sensors and Systems
        Royal Institute of Technology