Re: Drum Scoring

From: Stan Mulder
Subject: Re: Drum Scoring
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 09:23:17 -0400

Jennifer Clark wrote:

Sebastiano Vigna wrote:

This is indeed an area where Lilypond would need some improvement... no

matter how I tweaked the various parameters, the drum scores I got were
not very satisfying (even beginners in the class noticed problems).
There are problems with rest positioning, uneven spacing, plus some
other minor things. I had the intention of writing something documenting
the various issues--maybe we could try to write down something.

The point is that drum scores are somehow an adaptation of rhythm to a
pre-existing notation. Notes do not represent pitch, and regularity in
note disposition is much more important than aesthetic consideration, as
we're playing fast and we're playing with four parts of our body 8^).
That's interesting, I had no idea that note spacing should be more even for drum parts, but it does make sense. I'll certainly let you know about the feedback I get from the drums parts I prepare with Lilypond. Do you have any links to examples of good drums parts online?

Jennifer

There is a book on drum notation put out by the Percussive Arts Society and it is generally agreed that this is the reference book for writing drum parts. The book is called "Guide to Standardized Drumset Notation by Norman Weinberg" <http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0966492811/thestevegaddwebs/ref=nosim>. Link: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0966492811/thestevegaddwebs/ref=nosim

This book has been pointed out before in the archives: http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2004-12/msg00143.html

On page 39 he shows the type of notation you are trying to achieve where the sax or brass rhythms with articulations are written on a single line above the staff. This gives the drummer cues as to where he/she can emphasize along with the rest of the ensemble.

I suppose I could scan that section if needed. I'm fairly new to Lilypond so I don't know how to do that type of notation.

Stan