building Lilypond 2.4.6 on Ubuntu 4.10 : problem with mftrace option [+

From: SPORN David
Subject: building Lilypond 2.4.6 on Ubuntu 4.10 : problem with mftrace option [+ workaround]
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 14:02:34 +0200

Hi,

Yesterday I finally managed to build Lilypond 2.4.6. First I could get all the dependancies libs and software through regular repositories (Ubuntu + universe + multiverse) with synaptic, except texinfo (I can have only 4.6, 4.7 required). Since texinfo is for building the manual, I will rely the website, so that's not blocking. I just had to tweak the configure script to change "4.7" to "4.6".

On the other hand, during the build process, there was a problem with mftrace. I have a newer version than the one required, and it seems that the "--formats=pfa" is not supported anymore, but "--pfa" instead. So I modified 3 files : GNUmakefile in ./mf, a python script (in ./buildscript, but can't remember which one) an a rule file in ./stepmake. (I think that you might find the file using 'find . -exec grep -il "formats=" {} \;')

This solved the problem and I could complete the building process except the user manual (as expected...) and then install it (again it fails when trying to install the manual, but that's ok)

PS: I think that my workaround is *very* dirty, but I'm not used to the Autotools, and the project is quite huge, and I just wanted to achieve the process...

PS2: by the way, is there an option in the configure or make to skip the building of the user manual ? On the other hand, why not provide a separate package with the user manual ready to use (html/pdf) ? unlike the binary package wich need to be tuned for a distribution, this one would be a "one size fit all".

PS3:Good job !
--
David SPORN (Poste 4336)