Re: 2.5 in debian?

From: Bernard Hurley
Subject: Re: 2.5 in debian?
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 05:03:07 +0100

No, not at all.

Firstly I said what I had done not what you should do. I did not do this
because I cannot run "make uninstall" but because I tend to be somewhat
paranoid about these things and don't necessarily assume that either
"make install" or "make uninstall" will actually do what I expect, and,
in the case "make install" have been proved right for one of the recent
CVS versions of lilypond. I am even more paranoid than this in that I
have installed lilypond 2.5.x on a different machine to the one I use
for my work and run it via my network.

Secondly I have spent a lot of time trying to persuade schools,
businesses and individuals to use GNU/Linux. In many cases it is very
important to these people that the software they use runs correctly and
carries on running. Nevertheless, for a range of reasons they often wish
to try out new, maybe unstable, versions of software. One of the very
nice things about GNU/Linux is that it is possible to do this very
safely. It is also possible to play with the software and perhaps
completely wreck it without wrecking the system. I was not trying to
give you advice, but for most of these people I would advise them to
create a new user. I have been in the computing business for over a
quarter of a century and have become used to taking elaborate
precautions: experience shows that it ends up saving more time than it
wastes.

        /Bernard