Needed: Much more space for initial markups

From: dax2
Subject: Needed: Much more space for initial markups
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2005 17:59:35 +0200

   Is there a non-tweak way to achieve the needed spacings?

   Thanks - in advance - for any comment.

   I used Lily - GNU LilyPond 2.5.19.1050412 Linux Gentoo.

   Professional orchestral music (parts) I wrote for the
Danish RSO and others needed:

   1) Character (Allegro con Brio or whatever)
   2) Tempo, approx. metronome mark X=128
   3) Start-dynamic  (mf or whatever)
   4) Phrasing, slurs etc.
   5) Other instrument-proprietary marks
       (like bowing for violins, Pedal for pianoforte, stop for horn, etc.)

   This may not be common practice in amateur orchestras, however,
I hope it is clear that all these markups are needed for
professional results. And they seem to go into one big lump,
except if you do something like I did in the attached example.

   Could it be made to default values?
   Is this a stupid question?

   Many Mutopiaproject scores do not have all of these. Actually,
I could not find any!

   I am not sure where to put this mail.

   This is so important, in my view.

   Actually Mats Bengtsson adviced me to scan the mailing list for
"padding" and gave the entry point to the documentation "Common
Tweaks".

   Great documentation, I mean it, excellent language and many
practical examples, but not much concrete help for this: when I
tried for example \override MetronomeMark #'padding = #'3.0 or
#'padding = #3 nothing happened.

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.5/Documentation/user/out-www/lilypond/Common-tweaks.html#Common-tweaks

   I cannot stop thinking: Is this a LilyBug or a DonaldBug? :-)

--
dax2-tele2adsl:dk -- http://d-axel.dk/  Donald Axel