Re: non-markup stencils

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: non-markup stencils
Date: Sun, 01 May 2005 22:01:09 +0200

Op za, 30-04-2005 te 15:05 +0200, schreef Sean Reed:

> thanks again han-wen, mats, donald axel, jonatan, and fairchild for
> the help with the bartok pizz. it opened my eyes a bit to the
> flexibility of self-programmed extensions, specifically for extended
> performance techniques.
>
> i am now attempting to put a little cross on the stems of notes for
> passages or pitches which are to be performed battuto (strings) or
> with "slap" articulations for winds.
>
> i attempted to modify your examples with the attached patch (see
> below), but the crosses always remain at a static x-y coordinate. i
> assume this is because i defined it as a markup command. is there a
> way to define a stencil (forgive me if it's incorrect terminology)
> that would place a cross in the note's corresponding stem while
> automatically modifying the y-coordinate so as to position it in the
> middle of that given stem (see attached example)?

I'd do this by overriding the print-function of StemTremolo. Try to
fiddle with something like

  \override StemTremolo #'print-function = #Text_interface::print
  \override StemTremolo #'text = \markup { .. }
  c4:16

--
Han-Wen Nienhuys - address@hidden
LilyPond Software Design - http://www.lilypond-design.com