Re: repeat with alternates in middle

From: David Raleigh Arnold
Subject: Re: repeat with alternates in middle
Date: Sun, 1 May 2005 18:06:17 -0400

On Friday 29 April 2005 01:58 am, Graham Percival wrote:

> On 28-Apr-05, at 6:09 PM, Jason Addison wrote:
>
> > I've been doing just what you described to a large degree.
> > I would still like to do what I described in the oringinal post.
> > I want to do it for a couple of reasons. First to save space,
> > and second, to make the structure of the music obvious.
> > If this is a serious faux pas in music engraving, let me know
> > and I'll try to want to do it less!
>
> Fair enough.  :)
> I'm not an expert on music engraving, but I've never seen an
> alternate
alternative
> beginning or middle.  Alternate endings -- even
> something like 1, 3 + 4 | 2, 5  -- but never other stuff.

stuff stuff 1- || 2- ||
stuff stuff d.c.

That's not illegal at all. It's uncommon but not rare.  You would use
a double bar after the endings though, and I don't remember seeing a
double bar inside repeat signs, so I used a D. C..  The typesetters
had no problem with it, and they were pretty fussy.  The only
difference from the usual is that you have no repeat sign after the
1st ending, just the double bar.

An alternative beginning could simply be moved to the end of
the first volta.  daveA

--
The only technical exercises for all guitarists worth a lifetime
of practice: "Dynamic Guitar Technique".  Nothing else is close.