Re: Limit on lilypond-book

From: Herman Grootaers
Subject: Re: Limit on lilypond-book
Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 20:36:09 +0200

On Saturday 14 May 2005 15:31, Bernard Hurley wrote:
> Hi,
>
> >From the log it looks like lilypond is failing when it gets to
>
> SwatijBozje06.ly. This suggests that either there is some obscure error
> in SwatijBozje06.ly, or, more likely that Lilypond has run out of
> memory. In the latter case it would be cured if lilypond-book caught the
> error and then submitted a shorter list of files - starting at
> lily-261943161 (= SwatijBozje06.ly) to lilypond. If it failed a second
> time it would be more or less certain the error was in the .ly file and
> a message could report something like:
>
> Unknown error in ....
>
>       /Bernard
>
> On Fri, 2005-05-13 at 11:59 +0200, Herman Grootaers wrote:

> > > bug. Report please.
> >
> > LOL, very terse reply on a long question, but now the serious part:
> >
> > The complete output of the verbose run is attached, included with the
> > source-file. All sources compile cleanly with lilypond, including the
> > known bugs in 2.5.22.
> >
> Hi,
>
>From the log it looks like lilypond is failing when it gets to
>
> SwatijBozje06.ly. This suggests that either there is some obscure error
> in SwatijBozje06.ly, or, more likely that Lilypond has run out of
> memory. In the latter case it would be cured if lilypond-book caught the
> error and then submitted a shorter list of files - starting at
> lily-261943161 (= SwatijBozje06.ly) to lilypond. If it failed a second
> time it would be more or less certain the error was in the .ly file and
> a message could report something like:
>
> Unknown error in ....

Sorry, all sourcefiles were checked individually with lilypond, just to check
wether the syllables are in the correct places, and if the music was copied
right. Done this with a small bash-script, so I would know if something did
not go well after a change, like adapting slurs, (de-)cerscendo's and the
like.

Lilpond-book is just one step further to get a complete book of all the
different pieces, for the final check-up/correction/rework by the director of
our church-choir. I will take some time this evening to test wether the break
is in SwatijBozje06.ly or if it is an example that lilypond-book needs a
rewrite, that is that each file is closed after it is completed, thus leaving
enough file-handles / memory  free for lilypond, and in the end the
generation is done in a sequential reading of all files necessarry to
generate the book. However I am not a perl-scripter, bash/ksh is my style
augmented with awk/sed and the other unix/linux-utilities there are.

Maybe it is just the fact that I am writing for two choirs; one church-choir
and one choir/orchestra/dancegroup with russian, oekrainian, and
white-russian folkmusic;  with lots of pieces which belong to each other,
which I will combine into one book for each choir, and a set for the director
for the Liturgy and the performances we give during the year.

--
Herman Grootaers