problem with \tempo

From: benoit farley
Subject: problem with \tempo
Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 15:03:33 -0500

Hi all,
I'm new to Lilypond and to the list.  I have done a lot of research,
but I'm still left with the following questions about \tempo:

1) When \tempo 4=108, for example, is written as the first thing on the
staff, after \clef , \key and \time,
     it is NOT printed when followed by a multi-measure rest, as in the
following score:

\score {
 \context Staff {
 \set Staff.instrument = "2."
  #(override-auto-beam-setting '(end * * * *)  1 4 'Staff)
  \override Score.BarNumber #'break-visibility = #end-of-line-invisible
 \key c \major
 \time 4/4
 \tempo 4=108 R1 r1 r1 r1 c'4 d' e' f' g' a' b'8 c'' c''4
 }
  \layout {

And of course, it is NOT printed with R1*4 replacing R1 r1 r1 r1 or R1 R1 R1
R1.

Question:  Is it a bug in the engraving procedure of the tempo mark, and if
not, what am I doing wrong?

2) When the tempo mark is printed (let's say that I put 'r1's instead of
'R1's), in the very first measure,
    it is aligned automatically with the left side of the rest.  But
according to some dictionary of music
    notation, the tempo mark at the beginning of a piece should be aligned
with the left side of the
    time mark, that is the 'C' in my example.

Questions: a) Why does Lilypond align it on the first music element instead
of on the time signature?
                 b) How do I make it align itself on the left side of the
time mark? Do I have to leave using \tempo
and instead use \markup \note ...  ?

Many thanks,

Benoit Farley