Re: Using the part combiner for hymns

From: Peter F Whyte
Subject: Re: Using the part combiner for hymns
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 12:20:57 +0100

On 16 May 2005 at 10:16, steveweb414... wrote:

> Hi.  I'm working on a public-domain hymnal project.
>
> I'd like to get the part combiner to follow some stemming conventions
> that are common in hymnals:
>
> - When the voices are in unison, there should be two stems.
> - When the voices are a second apart (i.e. adjacent notes), there
> should be two stems.
>
> Is there a way I can get the part combiner to do this?
>
> Thanks
>
> Steve

Steve

I think if you use \VoiceOne and \VoiceTwo you should get what you are looking
for.  I
regularly combine hymn harmonies from various sources into a single score and I
use
them to achieve that.  Here's a few snippets from my standard file just showing
the right
hand (I place all the parts in one file where this came from, then I do the
score in a
second one and include the parts in it.)

% lilypond starts
% \melody and \alto are defined above
% as regular music expression blocks
%

global =  {  \time 2/2 }

Key =  { \key ef \major }

rhUpper =  \relative c'' {
        \voiceOne
        \Key
        \mark \markup {HTC}
        \melody
        \bar "|."
}

rhLower =  \relative c' {
        \voiceTwo
        \Key
        \alto
}

PianoRH = {
        \clef treble
        \global
        \set Staff.midiInstrument = "acoustic grand"
        \context Staff <<
                \context Voice = "one" \rhUpper
                \context Voice = "two" \rhLower

}

piano = {
        \context PianoStaff <<
                \set PianoStaff.instrument = #"Piano"
                \set PianoStaff.minimumVerticalExtent = #'(-2 . 2)
                #(set-accidental-style 'piano-cautionary)
                \context Staff = "upper" \PianoRH
                \context Staff = "lower" \PianoLH

}
% lilypond ends