Re: Lyrics / staffs/ contexts - which way is best for me

From: Ruud van Silfhout
Subject: Re: Lyrics / staffs/ contexts - which way is best for me
Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 21:18:23 +0200

andrew Black wrote:

Hi
I am fairly new to lilypond. I have RTFM-ed but am rather confused by the number of ways of adding lyrics to a score. My confusion might be caused by not understanding what \new and \context does.

My basic requirement is
 - SATB, each one line
 - piano part

It seems to me that I need to build up a template to do this
(and by building it up myself I will understand it!)
My starting point was http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.4/Documentation/user/out-www/lilypond/Vocal-ensembles.html#Vocal-ensembles
but this combines SA and TB which makes it too complex for what I want.

Can someone walk me through setting this up
Thanks

Hi Andrew,

To set up a score for the SATB part this might look like the score below. I once sent something like this to lily, but it didn't make it to the archive or the documentation. (no pun intended) Needless to say that you can extend this with multiple voices for a staff, if you need that for the piano part. And of course you can remove empty staff contexts for lyrics staffs which have long periods of rests. You can read about that in the manual.

Have fun!

Ruud,
Mutopia project maintainer.

\version "2.4.3"

sopranoMusic = \relative c'' { c d e f }
altoMusic = \relative c' { e f g a }
tenorMusic = \relative c' { g a b c }
bassMusic = \relative c' { c d e f }

sopranoLyrics = \lyrics { etc }
altoLyrics = \lyrics { etc }
tenorLyrics = \lyrics { etc }
bassLyrics = \lyrics { etc }

rightHandMusic = \relative c' { c d e f }
leftHandMusic = \relative c { e f g a }

\score {
 \context GrandStaff <<
   \context ChoirStaff <<
   \context Voice = sopranoVoice { \sopranoMusic }
\context Lyrics = sopranoLyrics \lyricsto sopranoVoice { \sopranoLyrics }
   \context Voice = altoVoice { \altoMusic }
   \context Lyrics = altoLyrics \lyricsto altoVoice { \altoLyrics }
   \context Voice = tenorVoice { \clef "G_8" \tenorMusic }
   \context Lyrics = tenorLyrics \lyricsto tenorVoice { \tenorLyrics }
   \context Voice = bassVoice { \clef bass \bassMusic }
   \context Lyrics = bassusLyrics \lyricsto bassVoice { \bassLyrics }

   \context PianoStaff <<
   \context Staff = rightHand { \rightHandMusic }
   \context Staff = leftHand { \clef bass \leftHandMusic }

 \layout {