Re: Lilypond now working on Cygwin on Windows XP

From: Charles Web
Subject: Re: Lilypond now working on Cygwin on Windows XP
Date: Sat, 21 May 2005 20:41:47 +1000

Mats,

> Why don't you follow the instructions at
> http://lilypond.org/web/install/windows and simply
> double-click on an .ly file to process it?

I thought I was following the instructions, and never noticed the relevance
of saving the test file on the desktop.  I did try that test and
I observed a test.pdf being created.  Next,
I tried doubleclicking on a file in my C:\homes\charles\lilypond
folder and found that lilypond is started automatically. This worked
as well!  I thought I had to use lilypond by running from the command line
in a bash shell.

How can Lilypond be configured to clean up its work files?
I now have a test.dvi, test.ps, test.log and a test.tex.

> If you email was intended as an help for other newcomers, you forgot
>> the most tricky aspect for a Cygwin beginner, namely the folder
> structure and what folder you should put test.ly in, namely in the
> folder with your login name located below C:\cygwin\home\
> (or H:\cygin in your case, even though the recommendation is
>to always use C: to be on the safe side).

I dont think this was made clear in the documentation. I read it many times
over.

Cygwin is a very fiddly piece of software to install and appears to be very sensitive
to version mismatches.

Charles