RE: Page Layout Help

From: Fairchild
Subject: RE: Page Layout Help
Date: Sun, 22 May 2005 09:03:00 -0500

Ted -

Try this structure, which works in v 2.4.3, somewhat unpredictably:

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
                \paper {
betweensystempadding = -.10\in
betweensystemspace   = 0.30\in
                }%end paper
                \score {
        \layout {
\context { \Staff minimumVerticalExtent = #'(-5.0 . +5.0) }
        }%end layout
  .  .  .
                }%end score
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Absolute minimumVerticalExtent line values less than 5 don't make the
spacing any smaller.  However, the -.10 makes the 0.30 enter the equation.
To implement::
 1) leave out the minimumVerticalExtent line,
 2) set betweensystempadding to a negative number on the range -0.9 to -0.1,
 3) adjust betweensystemspace until the staff spacing is slightly too small,
then
 4) set minimumVerticalExtent values to 5's through 10's to enlarge the
spacing to suit.

Individual staff spacing can be selectively enlarged with the \markup
construct,
 e.g. \markup{ "" \raise #<n> "" }

                                   - Bruce